Director, Research & Development at Elliott Group, Ebara Corp, USA
Director Machinery Department, Southwest Research Institute®
Manager, Gas Compressor Engineering, Solar Turbines Incorporated
Turbomachinery Seminar 2024
Working principles of turbomachinery in power generation, gas compression for upstream, midstream, and downstream applications. With a focus on carbon reduction, the hydrogen economy, and CO2 capture, transport and sequestration.
The seminar will give attendees an overview of working principles of turbomachinery used in industrial applications. These machines include gas compressors, gas turbines, and steam turbines. The thermodynamic, aerodynamic, and rotordynamic principles, as well as control concepts are explained with the goal to understand the constraints and opportunities that arise for these machines, and by extension, the applications they are used for.
Among these applications are power generation, gas compression for upstream, midstream, and downstream applications, including LNG but in particular applications in the field of carbon reduction, the hydrogen economy, and CO2 capture, transport and sequestration.
The seminar therefore provides a fundamental class on turbomachinery function and application, and attempts to complement the GPPS Forum topics.
Outline of Topics
– Overview of Machinery
- Steam Turbines and Expanders
- Centrifugal and Axial Gas
- Gas Turbines
– Thermodynamics for Gas Turbines
– Thermodynamics of Gas Compression
– Aerodynamics for Axial and Centrifugal Turbomachinery
– Rotor dynamics for Turbomachinery
– Aeromechanical Design and Analysis
– Shaft seals
– Control Concepts for Turbomachinery Trains
– Select Applications:
- Combined Cycle Power Generation
- Supercritical CO2 Applications
– Future Outlook