Since 2018 Michael Geyer is Malta’s Managing Director for Business Development Europe and MENA. He also is Senior Advisor for the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in the field of development of thermal energy storage for Carnot Batteries. In this period he participated in feasibility studies on giving coal plants in Germany and Chile a second decarbonized life by converting them into storage hubs for renewable energy.
From 2001 until 2018 Michael was head of international solar project development first at German CSP developer Flagsol and later at Spanish developer and constructor Abengoa and lead solar thermal electric and PV greenfield project developments in Algeria, Australia, China, Cyprus, Egypt, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Morocco, South Africa and UAE, among them
• 2x50MW Andasol 1 and Andasol 2 – world´s first plants with molten salt thermal storage
• 100 MW Shams parabolic trough plant in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates;
• 100 MW Kaxu parabolic trough plant with 3h molten salt thermal storage in South Africa,
• 50 MW Khi superheated steam solar tower with 3h steam storage in South Africa
• 100 MW Xina parabolic trough plant with 5.5h molten salt storage in South Africa
Michael also served as the Executive Secretary of the IEA SolarPACES Implementing Agreement 2000 and 2008.
He is author or co-author of more than 60 publications in the mentioned fields, including technical books, journals, conference papers, studies and reports.
Energy System Speaker