GPPS 1st Turbomachinery CFD Workshop
The first GPPS Turbomachinery CFD workshop will be part of the GPPS Xi'an21 conference on November 17th, 2021.
As part of the GPPS Xi’an21 conference, we would like to introduce our 1st Turbomachinery CFD Workshop hosted online on November 17th, 2021. The theme of this workshop is “Validation and Verification of RANS Turbomachinery Solvers on the TUDa-GLR-OpenStage Transonic Axial Compressor.”
RANS simulation is the industrial workhorse for predicting turbomachinery flows. However, due to the errors and uncertainties involved in the experiments and CFD models, users can occasionally find inconsistency and deficiency of RANS results, which degrades users’ trust in RANS turbomachinery solvers. This workshop helps improve users’ trust in RANS turbomachinery solvers by conducting a validation and verification (V&V) study on the TUDA-GLR-OpenStage transonic axial compressor. The TUDA-GLR-OpenStage is a state-of-the-art industrial-level machine that is challenging for RANS CFD.
- Troubleshooting and version control of numerical models in existing turbomachinery RANS solvers.
- Enhance understanding of RANS prediction capability for transonic axial compressors.
- Develop a best practice guide of RANS solvers for transonic axial compressors.
- Promote education of the next generation turbomachinery CFD engineers.
How to participate
Participants are welcome to simulate this case, submit their prediction results, or attend the workshop to listen and learn from the discussions. In the workshop, the organizers will present a virtual lab tour of the test rig and a summary of all submitted data. After that, each participant submitting the prediction results will have a 10-min rapid talk to present the results. No paper submission is required.
Step-by-step participation guide is as follows:
1. People who attended the virtual GPPS Chania20 technical conference can request access to the geometry, experimental data, boundary conditions, and official grids of the test case without prior registration for Xi’an21 by filling in the data request form in the left column. Please submit the signed legal agreement when requesting the data. The GPPS staff will send you the link to the data within three days after your request.
2. People who have not attended the GPPS Chania20 need to register for the Xi’an21 workshop on the GPPS website. The CFD Workshop is complimentary for Xi’an21 conference registrants (both day-pass and full conference tickets), but it is also possible to register solely for the CFD workshop for a fee. Upon successful registration, please request the data by downloading and completing the legal agreement, then filling in the request form in the left column attaching your signed legal agreement. The GPPS staff will send you the link to the data within three days after your request.
3. Please submit your results by October 31st, 2021. The data format should follow the submission guideline provided with the workshop data.
4. Chania20 attendees have to register for the CFD workshop to attend and/or have their submitted data processed by the organizers. The registration deadline is November 3rd.